"It's unbelievable," said Ileana LiMarzi of Kitsap Fire and Resuce. "When you see it yourself, she's very lucky to be alive."
Photos from the bedroom show just how close Anderson came to being killed.
"The one thing she did say to me as she was being taken out of the home is that she just happened to fall asleep with her cell phone in her hand," LiMarzi said."She's just very fortunate that she had it nearby. I don't think she was in a position where she could have reached for it if it hadn't been right there in her hand."
Anderson was able to call 911 and she escaped the carnage with only minor leg injuries. She was taken to Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton and discharged a few hours later.
"She was too shaken up. She didn't have much to say, she was pretty shaken," said Anderson's brother-in-law, Steve Clarkson.
Monday's incident was the second close call Anderson has faced in recent weeks. She just recently moved into the duplex after her home on Avante Drive was damaged in a fire. Her cat and bird were killed in the fire and she was treated for smoke inhalation.
Now she's dealing with more loss, but her brother-in-law is confident she can deal with it.
"She's a tough woman," he said with a laugh. "She is."
Anderson's duplex has been red-tagged, which means people can come and go to get their belongings, but they can't sleep there.