Constance Merritt, a Kuna resident, turned on the heater for the first time this season. An hour later, her garage was engulfed in flames.
"The entire house was cold except her room so we turned on the heater," said Merritt. "She went to bed, everyone was asleep, and then I fell asleep around 2:30 and the next thing I know I hear the fire alarms."
The fire started around 3:30 a.m. Thursday. All residents of the house made it out safely, including their dog and three small animals.
(Photos from the Scene >>>)
"There is the bird, Molly; we have Pinky, the long haired flop bunny, who was in my room; Molly, she was in the front room by the front door; and then there was JB, the guinea pig, who was kind or over near the kitchen," said Merritt. "We're so happy that they're OK."
Kuna Fire Chief, Stephen Rinaldi, said Kuna Fire responded to the fire, contained it to the garage, and got it out quickly.
"We're looking into the area of origin, we know that it is in the garage. It is in the area centered in the water heater and the furnace area," said Rinaldi.
Cyndi Robinson was also in the house when the fire started.
She said she was happy that her family and pets got out safe but was extremely upset about her family photos and personal ornaments that were in the garage.
There is minor smoke damage in the interior of the house, but it could be awhile before the family can move back in.
The fire is under investigation stay with KBOI for the latest.