Family temporarily out of home after Boise house fire
BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) - Firefighters extinguished a house fire on the 1300 block of Paint Street in Boise Monday afternoon.
Crews say ashes caught fire after the homeowners were cleaning a fireplace or barbecue pit. The fire burned the side of the home along with most of the garage and attic, but there was no interior damage.
Firefighters say this is a reminder of how important it is to take care of your ashes properly.
"This time of the year people dealing with ashes is a common problem," said Don Gifford, Boise Fire Department Battalion Chief, "We highly recommend that when people clean out their fire pits or their fireplace that they put the ashes in a metal can and well away from any structures until they are cold. And that can take days, actually, and people don't realize that."
No one was hurt in the fire, but the home's gas and power lines are down. Boise Fire is putting the family up in a hotel using the fire department's burn out fund. The family should be back in their house later this week.